Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

Eventing Cinema: my salute to Imperial Cavalier

I'm planning two Eventing Cinema entries this month, so this is the first. Once again it was inspired by finding a piece of Royalty Free Music and then thinking what I could use it for. So another simple idea which I hope shows what can be achieved with about 30 seconds of video, one photograph, a bit of research to convince myself it really was "Archie" I was looking at (especially in the photograph!) some editing and some slow motion.

MK+IC; I'm not allowed to use London 2012 images in the video!
At Aldon Horse Trials early 2014
I'm always scouring iTunes for suitable pieces of Royalty Free Music and generally I want driven, up tempo tracks to put to videos of horses going cross country. When I found this piece with it's more reflective mood, and as I'd started on this Eventing Cinema theme of a series of not too closely related videos other than the fact they represented the spirit of eventing from a number of angles, I thought it would be nice to make a little montage of the Imperial Cavalier footage that I've collected over the past 12 months, especially with him retiring this year.



I have to admit I'm very pleased with the result and would have to admit to a little sob the first time I watched it through. I didn't have a massive amount of video, so the use of slow motion was essential to fill the length of the track and because it matches the mood of the music and the atmosphere I was trying to create.

The video is from Badminton in 2013 and 2014 and from the Advanced Intermediate Section at Aldon(1) in 2014, a class which he won on his dressage score of 24.6.

The opening photograph is from Badminton 2010, the year he finished fourth, and I had to convince myself it was indeed Imperial Cavalier and not Kings Temptress who Mary had ridden in the parade but who had in fact retired after Dressage.

Comments

Popular Posts