Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

2024 has turned out to be my Annus horribilis - And it's not October yet

It says something about the dire state of my 2024 experience that a large percentage of my YouTube views this year have come from people either 'rubber necking' over a rider fatality at Bicton or watching a video giving my observations on the Charlotte Dujardin horse abuse allegations.

But I have to be honest, it’s been bad all the way through and I’m not just talking about the weather.

Blenheim Palace 2024 - it all started so well?
©Harveywetdog


Where to begin? Cirencester Park 1 was cancelled, Gemma Stevens was robbed at Badminton (IMHO), we had to return home early from Bicton due to a water leak at home, Hartpury Festival of Dressage felt very low key, the Festival of British Eventing was cancelled, Hartpury Eventing was cut short for me as a result of a scam hack, in cycling the women’s tour didn’t take place and the men’s tour didn’t come anywhere near Gloucestershire. And now, of course, to cap it all off Blenheim ended in tears for me with a modern day repeat of the 2017 Badminton media rights debacle.


As with Badminton in 2017, when mistakes are made by the big guys, it is the little people who suffer and so it was that I was left with no choice but to return my media accreditation and miss out on Saturday and Sunday. I've also ended up with a copyright strike on my channel and, as you may know, YouTube operates a three strikes and you're out policy so I have to tread very carefully for the next 90 days.

That really is the worst possible end to my videoing year and certainly not one that I had seen coming. Blenheim has always been one of my favourite venues (since 2013) and has always been pretty relaxed from a media perspective. Okay, the Jockey Club years were a bit hairy but I kept my head down and did my bit, otherwise it’s been a breeze. (Although the person who decided to build a traffic island half way down the Witney bypass needs seeing to but that’s another story). 

I suppose I had to deal with exclusive rights the year ERM tried to spoil the event but apart from that it’s been plain sailing. (I remember Catherine was always worried I’d pull the broadband speed down so I had to promise not to upload video on site).

Bernard always told me my problem was being too good at what I do
©Harveywetdog



The support from my YouTube subscribers over the last week has been truly wonderful, for which I'm forever grateful, and I hope they'll be able to continue to enjoy the archive even if I am unable to add any new material.

I will continue to be an advocate for a good life for horses within equestrian sport but fear that unless FEI, and in our case BEF, can get a grip on the situation then the end is nigh, and some will say deservedly so. 

It is unfortunate that the numerous incidents of horse abuse and horse welfare violations mean that equestrian sport is seemingly doomed, run by those for whom “the charter for the horse” is a cynical marketing convenience, and who simply wish to maximise profits whilst literally flogging ‘the horse’ until it expires.

I wish that my Harveywetdog experience could have ended differently, but it seems it wasn't to be.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harveywetdog/Author - David Robinson CEng FIET 
David spent approaching 50 years in Her Majesty's Electricity Supply Industry before retiring
He was part of the highly successful design team on the Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station Project before spending 25 years producing safety cases to keep our aging AGR fleet generating for the good of the nation
He is responsible for the Harveywetdog YouTube Channel which he maintains as an outlet for his creative talents
David is now in remission from blood cancer but refuses to be a victim
All views are now his own but might be influenced by the medication he's had to take



Comments