Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

Eventing Cinema 2014: Vicki Hancox at Broadway Horse Trials

Good Friday saw the Harveywetdog cameras at Broadway Horse Trials to record my first Eventing Cinema entry for 2014 featuring eventer Vicki Hancox. As well as running two horses in the BE90 and BE80(T) classes on the day Vicki took time to walk and describe the course on camera and then explain her definition of the Spirit of Eventing.

Possibly the most beautiful Horse Trials setting in the world?

Vicki explains how to tackle fence 5 on the BE90 course
First of all deepest respect and thanks to Vicki and her connections for agreeing to take this on. Vicki was such a natural performer in front of the camera and everything in the video is first take and 100% unscripted.

For the revised format of the Eventing Cinema competition in 2014 I wanted to do something different, move away from the mega stars and look at eventing from a variety of angles. For my first video I chose the view from the grass roots of the sports, and looked out for someone striving to achieve the big time on a relatively limited budget.

The horses you see are Dunaire Duke of York, stable name Duke, and Trojans Empire, or Troy. Duke is a rising 7 years old 15.3 Welsh Section D who Vicki has broken and produced for owners. Vicki explained that Duke nearly died two years ago but recovered to win a BE90 section at Broadway in 2013 on his Dressage score of 20.

Troy is a 15.1 8 year old ex race horse (Karinga Bay/Snowbound) that Vicki rides for a client. Troy is in his first year eventing and Vicki explained that his owner has been poorly and described Troy as the owner's motivation to keep going.

Best known for riding her number 1 horse Noble Artist Vicki's career has not been without its up and downs; she broke her back two years ago but has not let this incident put her off the sport she clearly loves.

My we were we lucky with the weather on Good Friday at Broadway! The sun shone most of the day but it wasn't too hot for the numerous climbs I had to make up the Cotswold escarpment.

As always the music is the Achilles heel of the competition so I've played safe with two pieces of Royalty Free Music by the Royalty Free Music Factory. Please watch, enjoy and like the video. Thank you

Here is the Eventing Cinema entry:



Please watch, like and share the video so that I get a healthy number of views for the competition.

I also captured some general action from the BE90 and BE80(T) Cross Country courses.

BE80(T)



BE90



All in all a rewarding and fulfilling day; when I get chance I'll upload some of my bloopers (of which there are a few). How many times does it take to say "Welcome to the beautiful Vale of Evesham" correctly and have you ever tried talking and listening to yourself through headphones at the same time?

Here are my bloopers!



Broadway Horse Trials

Comments

Popular Posts