Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

Surviving a YouTube copyright strike - definitely not for the faint hearted

Hello and welcome to this blog about YouTube copyright strikes and my recent experience.

This is quite a difficult blog for me because obviously wherever copyright is involved there are at least two parties.


The use of equipment for recording... visual material... inside the Event is strictly forbidden?
©Harveywetdog

I’ve got to try desperately hard not to name the other parties in this case, that’s not the point of the blog and if I do, I’ll make sure I edit that out before it is published.

When I set out to write the blog I wanted to believe the other party thought they were acting in good faith and in line with YouTube processes and procedures; now I’m not so sure.

 The other reason why I need to be careful is because obviously I’m not an expert on copyright (as this experience demonstrates) so I’m not trying to say this is legal advice in anyway, all I’m giving you is my experience of what might happen if you get a copyright strike and more importantly, the response you can expect from YouTube. Toward the end of the process, I learned that YouTube process copyright in line with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) which is a US piece of legislation, but which aligns with other International agreements on Copyright. Knowing that helps explain the way YouTube responds to copyright infringement claims.

From the get-go let’s make one thing clear; it is my experience that YouTube will assume you are guilty of breaching copyright and will act accordingly. There is a useful diagram in their guidance which suggests that they can decide to ignore a takedown request, but the safe harbour clauses of the DMCA mean that they are most likely to err on the side of caution, remove the video immediately (and issue the copyright strike) and then invite the injured party to enter the counter notification process.

Now, if you’re going to directly copy somebody’s video or somebody’s music and you get a copyright strike then you’ve just got no excuse, you’ve most likely got no way out of that; you can try your “fair use” arguments and all that but honestly you’re on your own with that one.

My case was slightly different; how can I explain this without naming the other parties involved? In the U.K. we like either motoring or football analogies and in this case we’ll use a football (soccer) analogy. Imagine you’ve gone to a football match, you’re possibly accredited media, nobody’s said anything about videoing restrictions so you decide to get your camera out and video part of the game, you publish your video and you then get a copyright strike from the people who claim to own the exclusive broadcast media rights.

In this case you’ve definitely not used any of their video, you’ve shot the game from a totally different angle to those they used; you’ve not got the bandwidth to show the whole of the game but your one minute in ninety minutes has caused them to act against you and request takedown via a copyright notification. Furthermore, you’re not told what their actual claim is. You filmed this yourself, you’ve edited and uploaded it yourself, it’s all your own work but nevertheless you have a copyright strike.

Do not make false claims
Google YouTube advice

That’s basically the situation I found myself in. Now as I say I’m not an expert but what I do know is it certainly didn’t feel like a copyright issue, but nevertheless, YouTube responded as if it was. They accepted the complaint by the other party and they took down three of my videos and gave me a copyright strike. As you know it’s three strikes and you’re out and I was one down.

I was running on 2 out of 3, so what to do? When you read the words in the email from YouTube it’s all automatically generated and it talks about the use of human and manual tools to identify copyright infringements; well clearly the other party couldn’t give a URL of a video that had been copied. They relied on a vague text description.

I don’t know if they provided any other explanation - certainly that wasn’t passed to me but that mixture of human and automated tools decided that there was a copyright issue here serious enough for me to receive a strike.

Now you realise as soon as you get the strike you’re entering into a formal legal process and some might say you’re best off accepting it and just keep your nose clean for 90 days.

That wasn’t my response and I decided to raise the counter notifications. I had three videos, and when you read the explanation it tells you that you can produce one counter notification to cover all three but it doesn’t explain how you do that; I couldn’t actually see how you could but I suspect all you have to do is put the three URLs at the top of the counter notification and then use a common explanation.

I seem to remember the counter notification is restricted in how many characters you can use so they’re not exactly expecting war and peace!

Because I submitted them one at a time, I was able to submit one and then sleep on the other two. It was possibly a good job I did; anyway, when I looked at YouTube the next morning, I was told that my counter notification had been rejected. Again, you aren’t really given any reason, and I just get the impression that YouTube are terrified of giving you as a creator any help because it might appear that they were endorsing an illegal copyright action; I suppose that’s fair and you can understand their position. I’m pretty sure the words stated you don’t have any right of appeal against this decision - but of course you have!

You don’t work in the civil nuclear industry for 30 years without developing a bit of backbone and the ability to make coherent arguments when faced with adversity, so I immediately appealed and the route I chose was the creator chat line to explain what had happened. The agent I got was not unhelpful but couldn’t answer the question. They passed me to a supervisor and the supervisor listened, as much as you can on chat, and whatever I said obviously convinced her enough for her to take this up with the copyright team, which she did, and the basic message I got back was “submit again and it’ll be accepted” which I did, and it was; one down.

I then had videos two and three to resolve; I used exactly the same wording for these two (which was a more punchy version of the counter notification I’d used for video 1) but applied them one at a time and ironically one was accepted immediately, and one was again rejected for no obvious reason. Once again, back to creator chat, and they said, well they implied, that I had missed some important information off and I’m not sure what that was but I basically resubmitted the same information again and that was the third counter notification accepted and with the other party who I was told had 10 days to review it and either ignore it, in which case it would lapse, or take me to court.

The words are quite clear of what “they’re taking you to court” means and what YouTube are looking for in terms of evidence of that and so you have 10 United States business days to sit and wait. I’ve got to admit though there was once or twice when I had a little wobble and thought, do I really want to do this? You really need to get some proper legal advice, which I did, but, because I was lacking any details from the other party as to what it was I was supposed to have done wrong, all the legal advice could tell me was that ‘it’s a little bit difficult for us to advise you but if you do get anything from them come back to us and we’ll take it from there.’

One thing that you are encouraged to do as a part of the process while you’re dealing with your copyright strike is to attend copyright school via the link YouTube provide. I did that because obviously I really wanted to learn what it was I had done wrong, however it didn’t really say anything about broadcast rights.

"[my video] does not make use of any output from *** whatsoever and neither would I need or want to do so"

At the time I didn’t know if sports broadcast rights were covered by the umbrella of the copyright process; it is obviously something that you can only argue verbally - you can’t really use a tool to detect that and provide a match, can you?

While I was waiting for the counter notification to be processed, I checked the e-ticket I had been given and sure enough, buried down in the small print was a notice that the use of equipment for recording any audio, visual or audio-visual material ……… inside the Event is strictly forbidden. It also warns that any unauthorised recordings may be confiscated or destroyed. I guess there’s common law and there’s common sense and I guess common sense tells you that people aren’t going to stop videoing on their phones but obviously if somebody wanted to make an example of somebody then this clause gives the organiser an opening to act. I’ve certainly been told by events that I would have my equipment confiscated if I turned up to video after being refused accreditation and permission to publish video.

A deeper trawl of the internet finally told me that a sports event per se was not a “work” that qualified for protection under copyright law (although it does appear this is constantly being reviewed as a number of athletes think it is unfair). Of course, a broadcast or transmission of content from a venue, even though the event itself is not a copyrightable work, does become a copyrighted work once recorded or transmitted. Which is why I was glad I’d used the phrase [my video] does not make use of any output from *** whatsoever and neither would I need or want to do so. As I explained earlier YouTube claim to apply the DMCA when processing counter notifications and I can see nothing to say sport would be treated as copyrightable work under US law either.

Ultimately the ten business days elapsed without any further action from the claimant, my three videos were restored and the copyright strike taken off my channel. I’ve now formally complained to YouTube that they allowed an erroneous takedown request against my channel (on the basis that sport is not subject to copyright per se) and that, and without prejudice, they allowed a third party to execute an act of malicious compliance against my channel without redress. In other words, and again without prejudice, an experienced broadcaster should know that sport per se was not subject to copyright, would know the impact the takedown request would have on my channel but went ahead and initiated the strike regardless.

What can I say in terms of lessons learned? Well, fascinatingly, sport per se is not subject to copyright, but events will and do attempt to protect exclusive broadcast rights by controlling access and permissions. YouTube are clearly terrified of being seen not to act on copyright claims and will err on the side of caution when they receive a takedown request. Obviously do not copy others work and be careful what you’re uploading, act with caution and take legal advice where you can.

Finally, the counter notification process is survivable but isn’t for the faint hearted, you’ll get some serious legal jargon thrown at you in an attempt to put you off; and most importantly, do not make false claims.

Some useful links

Elam, V., (2016) “Sporting events as dramatic works in the UK copyright system”, Entertainment and Sports Law Journal 13, 1. doi:

Intellectual property and the specificity of sports

Can athletes claim copyright in their sporting performances?

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1998

Copyright takedown request process



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harveywetdog/Author - David Robinson CEng FIET 
David spent approaching 50 years in Her Majesty's Electricity Supply Industry before retiring
He was part of the highly successful design team on the Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station Project before spending 25 years producing safety cases to keep our aging AGR fleet generating for the good of the nation
He is responsible for the Harveywetdog YouTube Channel which he maintains as an outlet for his creative talents
David is now in remission from blood cancer but refuses to be a victim
All views are now his own but might be influenced by the medication he's had to take


Comments