Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

Badminton - it's all about Alfie on what will be a warm afternoon in Gloucestershire

 Ros Canter and her rising star Izilot DHI will be the overnight leaders heading into tomorrow's cross-country day at the MARS Badminton Horse Trials in Gloucestershire after an impressive dressage test.

 
The 2023 winner, world number two and reigning European champion has enjoyed a brilliant run of form and, for the second year running, heads the leaderboard at the end of the dressage phase on a new Badminton ride, her own and Alex Moody's 11-year-old bay gelding. 
 
The pair are already winners at this highest, five-star level, following a victory at Pau, France, last autumn, plus they captured the four-star at Blenheim last September.
 
Ros has played down her status as favourite for a second consecutive win, saying: 'Izilot is an exceptionally brave horse so I feel very confident sitting on him, but it's his first time at a big event like this and he won't have seen this length of course before [an optimum time of 11 minutes 19 seconds]. At Pau, we were held on the cross-country course, which gave him recovery time.

Winning at Blenheim Palace 4*L
©Harveywetdog
 
 
'I will go out with the intention of going fast and clear, but at the same time listen to what he's telling me because I know I have a great horse for the future.'
 
Thursday's leader, Bubby Upton, who has made a heroic return from breaking her back seven months ago, is now in second place, just 2 penalties in arrears, on Cola.
 
'I never thought I'd be sitting here after dressage,' said Bubby. 'Cola just thrives on the atmosphere and am so thrilled to be up here with these guys.' 
 
British-based New Zealand Olympian Tim Price, who has yet to add a Badminton win to his stellar CV, is in third place on Vitali. 
 
He said: 'Being here on the podium is a good place to be at this stage and it's going to be fun trying to work my way up the leaderboard.'

Harveywetdog's ones to watch -
Gemma Stevens and Chilli Knight (Alfie)

 The closeness of the dressage scores means that there is all to play for tomorrow in what should be a thrilling and fascinating contest. Veteran British names such as former winners William Fox-Pitt (lying eighth) and Pippa Funnell (12th) alongside first timer Max Warburton (10th). Cross-country time is going to prove crucial: the cost of 10 time penalties covers the top 30 riders.

Ones to watch Gemma Stevens and Chilli Knight (Alfie)
Winning at Bicton  5*L in 2021
©Harveywetdog


 
Sixty-seven horses will start the cross-country phase tomorrow, which starts at 11.30am.

Comments

Popular Posts