Skip to main content

Featured post

If Harveywetdog did Wikipedia

In April 2020 and in the interest of legacy I wrote a Wikipedia entry recording the thoughts and notable works of Harveywetdog. I admit I was ignorant of the rules concerning self promotion on Wikipedia and consequently my entry was correctly deleted and my account expunged from the system. As a result my original words and links were sadly lost but nevertheless here is a rewrite. Perhaps when I'm gone someone will be able to enter it onto Wikipedia as a fitting epitaph for my time on the Harveywetdog Project.  

Harveywetdog visits Brown's Hotel Laugharne


I developed an interest in the life and times of Dylan Thomas after reading "Under Milk Wood" and watching a DVD of the film "The Edge of Love". Although I visited Laugharne and the Boathouse in 2010, whilst based in The Brecon Beacons, I didn't visit the upper town (although I must have driven through it); as a result I set myself the target of revisiting and Laugharne and seeing Brown's Hotel (and Dylan's grave) at the next opportunity. Imagine my disapointment when having returned in 2012 I found the hotel closed for refurbishment!


Harvey disappointed in 2012




















Before returning to Laugharne this year I did my research and was pleased to find that the hotel would be open.


Back again in 2013

Our visit to the hotel took place on the Sunday evening of our stay and Harvey was made most welcome; he was allowed in the bar and was even offered a bowl of water. As our holiday cottage was only two minutes away we declined the water, Harvey choosing instead to catch up on some shut eye under the table.


Awe struck in the face of culture?

We raised a glass or two to Dylan and Caitlan and enjoyed an atmospheric drink in the bar before heading on our way. The bar blends old and new and features a range of Thomas memorabilia. I'd thoroughly recommend a visit, but do check if it is open!

Sampling the beer


A second sample was required

Off home for tea

Comments

Popular Posts